Cultural Flotsam

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Brick Noir........

So the other day I finally got to see "Brick". If you don't know what this is, it's a noir-ish film about High School kids, drugs and murder staring the kid out of "Third Rock From the Sun" (Joseph Gordon-Levit). I'm not ashamed to say that I loved it. It was gritty, dark and all the things I love about flicks like this. I will say this about it though. The fact that it was written in a very adult way and involved high school students had me flashing back to the movie "Bugsy Malone". If you've never seen this movie I would suggest trying to find it as a rent as it's one of the funniest movies I saw as a teenager (and that should tell you a little more about me!). "Bugsy" starred Scott Baio and Jodie Foster when they were still just little kids (for Foster, it was the same year she was in "Taxi Driver", 1976), and involved them playing out a mobster movie. The best part about that movie were the pie-shooting machine guns which made it feel very Keystone Kops at times.

So back to "Brick". Dark, dark, dark. If it was made with adults in the roles instead of the youngsters, I could forsee someone like Nick Nolte in the lead role (or Jack Nicholson from his "Chinatown" days). While "Brick" didn't spend a lot of time in the theaters (or at least not here in Ottawa), if you want to see a good, well paced and though out movie that doesn't pander to kids, I would certainly reccomend that you pay a visit to your nearest movie store and enjoy a good night.

Music wise, I don't have a lot to report today, except that I rediscovered one of my favourite hardcore/punky records again last night.... Refused's "The shape of Punk to come". It's always interesting to hear a Swedish anarchic punk/hardcore band include what sounds like techno and Brazillian funk into the mix and have it sound like it was always meant to be there. Unfortunately, Refused split after the release of this record in 1998, but some other pretty cool bands rose from it's ashes: (International) Noise Conspiracy being my favourite.

Alright ladies and gentlemen, it's about that time to get back to class and some lernding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home